Spicy Orange, Chocolate & Cranberry Wrap Cake
Serves 6 - 8
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 5 Mission Plain Super Soft Wraps
- 375g (13oz) bitter chocolate, chopped
- 125g (4¾ oz) unsalted butter
- 1.5 eggs, beaten
- 5 tbsp castor sugar
- 3.3 Medium eggs
- 108.3g (3¾ oz) castor sugar
- 473mls (1 pint) double cream, heated
- pinch of salt
- pinch chilli powder
- finely grated zest
- 1 large orange
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 120g (4oz) Semi dried cranberries
- Pre heat oven to 180°C gas 4.
- Melt chocolate and unsalted butter together, over pan of simmering water.
- In a bowl, place eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, chilli, orange zest and mix well.
- Lay out wraps, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with castor sugar.
- Lay onto baking sheet and bake until crisp and nicely coloured.
- Once cooked cool.
- Reduce heat in the oven to 160°C gas 3.
- Next add warm cream to the melted chocolate and butter, then mix well.
- Add to the egg mixture and whisk well.
- Lay one of the cooked wraps in the bottom of a 25cm x 5½ cm, loose bottomed cake tin. The cooked wraps should fit in perfectly.
- Pour in half the chocolate and egg mixture, then, sprinkle over half the cranberries.
- Lay on the second wrap and pour in the last of the chocolate and egg mixture, then sprinkle over the rest of the cranberries. Top with the last wrap.
- Place tin into oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until outside edge is set.
- Remove from oven, cool, then chill well, best overnight.
- Cut into thick wedges, dust well with plenty of cocoa powder and icing sugar, serve with a dollop of clotted cream.